40 Interesting Travel Facts
- Travel can help improve your problem solving skills.
- Taking a vacation can lower your risk of heart disease.
- Studies show that money spent on travel makes you happier than money spent on material goods.
- Benefits of travel are almost immediate. After only a day or two, 89% of people experience significant drops in stress.
- Travel has been shown to help aid those suffering from depression.
- Travel has been shown to improve overall brain health.
- Austrian citizens are said to have the most vacation time of any country. Austria guarantees workers a legal minimum of 22 paid vacation days and 13 paid holidays each year.
- Travel can make you more creative.
- Travel can also make you smarter.
- France is the most visited country in the world.
- Bangkok, is the most visited city in the world, according to 2013 data.
- Honolulu is the only place in the U.S. that has a royal palace.
- Russia produces the most oxygen in the world.
- France covers the most time zones – 12.
- With over 3 million lakes, Canada has the most lakes in the world.
- Mongolia is the least densely populated place in the world. There are four people per square mile.
- Monaco is smaller than central park in New York City.
- 99% of Libya is dessert.
- Canada has the most educated population in the world, with 50% of the population being educated at the post-secondary level.
- There are 61,000 people in the air over the U.S. at any given time on any given day.
21. 1/3 of the world’s airports are located in the U.S.
22. The San Alfonso del Mar resort in Chile has the world’s largest swimming pool, it holds 66 million gallons.
23. The longest flight in the world is from Sydney to Dallas. It lasts around 16 hours and covers approximately 8,500 miles.
24. The largest hotel in the world is the Izmailovo Hotel in Russia. It could accommodate over 7, 500 guests.
25. The most expensive hotel room in the world costs $83,200 a night at the Royal Penthouse Suite in Geneva at Hotel President Wilson.
26. Asia is the largest continent on earth covering about 9% of the earth’s surface.
27. Africa is the second largest continent in the world, has 53 countries and has 1 billion people.
28. Africa has the youngest population in the world. Around 50% are younger than 19 years of age.
29. Antarctica is the least populated continent in the world, with less than 5000 residents. It is also home to few plant and animal species.
30. There is actually no geographical separation as such between Asia and Europe. Hence, the reason why the two continents are popularly called Eurasia.
31. 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water.
32. Australia was mainly inhabited by the Indigenous Australians for around 40,000 years before the British enslaved them, and took over the country.
33. A quarter of the world’s prison population can be found in the USA. This amounts to 2.2 million people behind bars. That’s more than the population of some countries!
34. Papa New Guinea is one f the most culturally diverse countries in the world, with over 820 spoken languages.
35. The Hawaiian alphabet consists of only 13 letters!
36. Due to extensive deforestation, Haiti, which borders the Dominican Republic, has practically no trees left.
37. Over 99% of electricity produced in Norway is clean and renewable due to ther extensive hydropower.
38. Maldives is reported to be the lowest on Earth and will one day be swallowed by the sea. Book your trip, while you still can!
39. Finland has nearly 180,000 islands.
40. 60% of the world’s lakes are found in Canada.
Hope you enjoyed these interesting facts! Do you know of any cool travel facts we may have missed?