10 Amazing Airport Facts
Below are 10 amazing airport facts you may not be aware of:
1) Hong Kong’s International Airport has a nine-hole USGA-approved course next to Terminal 2, and it’s open to travellers who fancy playing a bit of golf to help pass the time.
2) The world’s smallest airport is Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, located on a Caribbean Island of Saba. It also has the shortest commercial runway on Earth at 0.2 miles long. The runway is so short it can’t fit jets, and airlines must get special permission to fly there.
3) Singapore’s Changi Airport boasts a nature trail and a butterfly garden with over 1000 butterflies.
4) The world’s busiest commercial airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta (ATL). The airport was visited by just over 100 million passengers last year and has been the world’s busiest airport since 1998!
5) The first ever internet and online check in was introduced by Alaska Airlines in 1999. The option to check in online is used by all airlines and is often open 24 hours before your flight departure. Checking in online is an easy way of saving time instead of rushing to the airport super early. Airlines introduced this feature to help their passengers have a smoother journey.
6) The world’ tallest air traffic control tower is based at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, also known as Bangkok International Airport in Thailand. The tower is a 132.2m (434ft) height round shaped building and is as tall as a 40-story skyscraper. The air traffic control tower handles about 76 flights per hour and has a 360 degree view of the 32.4km2 surface area of the airport.
7) London’s Heathrow Airport uses cars equipped with loudspeakers that blast distress calls of different bird species to scare them away from the runways.
8) Around one third of the world’s airports are based in the United States of America.
9) The largest airport in terms of its size is King Fahd International Airport (KFIA) in Dammam, Saudi Arabia. The construction of the airport began in 1983 and was completed in 1999. The passenger terminal covers an area of 3,520,000 square feet.
10) Standing at around 161,000 square feet, Dubai Airport’s duty free is the largest shopping space at an airport in the world. The stores are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.